To prevent smoke damage from the fire, it is recommended that you take the following steps:
- Close all windows.
- Close all air vents in house.
- Brush vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes and carpet.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
- Change HVAC filter after smoke has cleared.
We encourage all homeowner's to leave as soon as any evacuation is ordered by fire officials. If you should need to leave your home, please remember the six "P's":
- People and pets
- Papers, phone numbers and important documents
- Prescriptions, vitamins and eyeglasses
- Pictures and irreplaceable memorabilia
- Personal computer hard drive and disks
- "Plastic" (credit cards, ATM cards) and cash
Do not return to your home until Fire officials determine it is safe. Notification that it is safe to return home will be given as soon as possible considering safety and accessibility.
When you return home:
- Be alert for downed power lines and other hazards.
- Check propane tanks, regulators, and lines before turning gas on.
- Check your residence carefully for hidden embers or smoldering fires.
Corbett & Assoc Insurance Agency is here to assist you with any of your needs. Please do not hesitate to contact our office.